We’ll be going through the following video clips in class and discussing strategies for how to deal with bullying, cyber bullying, and hurtful behaviors.
WORDS HURT COMMERCIAL
CYBER BULLYING PREVENTION
- Why is it easier to post something mean online than to say it to someone’s face?
- Think before you post?
- If you were a parent what 3 guidelines would you give your child re. online chats/ posts
- What are the legal ramifications of posting something online? Liable/ slander/ deformation of character
CYBER-BULLYING RAMIFICATIONS – TEEN SUICIDE
- “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me” -what is the truth?
- How do you think this death could have been avoided?
- Could the parents have prevented this?
- Why do teenagers often not tell teachers/ parents about the bullying? (They’ll make it worse – does this mean we should just leave it and “just deal with it” as a “rite of passage”. Remember speaking up can prevent someone else going through the same scenario. Stop the Cycle of hurtful behaviors!
- Why is more “acceptable” to have chat groups posting online that are hurtful instead of saying encouraging things about others?
- When would you advise a friend a friend to talk to another adult?
Additional Prompt Questions
- Does this clip make you feel uncomfortable?
- Why do we sometimes laugh at this behavior?
- Why do negative words hurt so much?
- Why do we glamorize mean/ hurtful behavior on Reality Shows or TV Series e.g. Simon on Idols, Survivor, Gossip Girl etc.?
TEENS ON SOCIAL MEDIA – Ramifications of Today’s Modern Tech
Anderson Cooper’s Being 13 Documentary Preview:
- What are your initial thoughts on the findings of this study?
- Does lurking significantly factor into your daily routine?
- How does lurking contribute to the prevalence of cyber-bullying?
- What are the emotional and mental consequences of living in today’s world of social media?
- In what ways can young adults better prepare themselves to deal with these situations?
- What are some guidelines for managing the cyber world?
HERO IN THE HALLWAY – What you can do.